Whole Hog StuffingLink
1 bag of cubed rustic bread
1 cup chopped leeks
1 cup diced celery
1 ea yellow onion, diced
½ lbs Feges BBQ smoked whole hog
1 cup smoked hog lard
2-3 cups poultry stock
Sage leaves, torn
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Spread the cubed bread onto a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Once toasted, set aside and increase oven temperature to 375 degrees.
2. Crisp the whole hog in a large sauté over medium heat. You may need to add 1 tbsp of the hog fat to get a good sear. Once browned and crispy, remove the hog and set hog aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. In the same pan melt 2 tbsp hog lard. Sauté the leeks, celery, and onions in the hog lard until softened. Add 1 cup of poultry stock to deglaze then transfer to the bowl containing the crisped whole hog.
4. Toss the toasted bread cubes, thyme leaves, and torn sage leaves into the bowl containing the other ingredients and mix well.
5. Add poultry stock to the bowl in 1 cup increments, mixing well between each addition. Stop adding stock when the bread has fully absorbed the stock and liquid starts pooling in the bottom of the bowl.
6. Grease a 9x13in baking dish, or similar, with hog lard. Pour the contents of the bowls into the baking dish. Using a spoon or pastry brush slather the remaining hog fat over the top of the stuffing. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.